Sunday 5 May 2013

Spring Has Sprung At Last

The Week before last I took the 68 over to my sisters.  My nieces asked for a trip out in the car - I was more than happy to oblige.

When I got home, there was a fair amount of oil leaking from the rear crank seal again, but otherwise the car behaved OK.  Mileage 42548.

So this long weekend I determined to do battle with the '68 on a number of fronts.  Of course nothing I planned worked out how I thought.

What I have managed to do (and it was a lot more difficult than I expected) is to replace the front seats from the '68 with those from the '67.  The original '68 ones are full width items whereas the '67 has "bucket" seats and a centre console with the gear lever in it.

The reason for changing is simply that the driver's seat on the '68 is getting really threadbare and the switch over is cheaper than having it reupholstered.  In fact, finding £2.34 under the seats meant I was slightly up on the day, although I'm sure I spent more than that on spray grease and freeze and release.

Whilst I was at it I decided to check the screenwash and the parking brake for the forthcoming MOT.  The brake I've done by adjusting it - further than I should really have done perhaps, but at least I stand a chance of it passing this year.

The screenwash worked but then gave up almost immediately.  The reservoir turned out to have a huge blob of something very organic looking in it.  No idea what it was but it looked unpleasant.


No comments: